Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Source-Connect Certification Courses Forums Networks and configuration Port forwarding seems to be set up correctly, but ports aren't mapped

• Port forwarding seems to be set up correctly, but ports aren't mapped

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 9:42 am

Port forwarding seems to be set up correctly, but ports aren't mapped

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 9:42 am

Hi everyone

We've been using Source-Connect successfully for several years. In the last week, we have been unable to connect to other users, and the SC window shows port: not mapped. However UDP ports 6000-6002 on the router have been forwarded to the correct local IP address, and nothing else seems to have changed. Any advice would be appreciated.

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 9:48 am

Here's a screenshot of the Mac computer that's being used for SC:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tauetyzwd22v0e/Source-Connect%20ports%20not%20open.jpeg?dl =0

• Jace

July 23, 2018 at 10:47 am

I don't seem to be able to access that photo, perhaps try uploading it again?

If Source-Connect is showing port not mapped, it means there is something wrong with the configuration. Be sure that the local firewall on the Mac is turned off. Also, if you have more than one router connected in series (double NAT) be aware that you will need to forward ports from the first router to the second, and then from the second router to your computer.

I suggest contacting live support for assistance with this as it can be tricky without more information.

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 11:10 am

Hi jace

Thanks for the reply. The local Mac firewall allows incoming connections for Source-Connect. We only have one router. I updated the link to the photo, so I hope you can access it now.

• Jace

July 23, 2018 at 11:31 am

So the Mac firewall is on but is allowing connections from Source-Connect? Perhaps try turning it off anyway in case it's still blocking some connections. Also, in order to refresh the port status on Source-Connect, you will need to log out and back into the software.

The port rule looks correct in the screen shot, but you might want to try breaking it up into separate rules for each port. Also, you only need to forward UDP 6000-6001 (6002 is no longer necessary with newer versions of Source-Connect).

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 2:50 pm

Thanks again for your reply. We have 5 studios, and the computers in all 5 have the same problem, so I don't think it's on the Mac side. I now suspect that our ISP has changed something, as our internal network hasn't been changed at all.

• Peter

July 23, 2018 at 3:08 pm

One thing that could be worth checking is if you have a publicly visible IP address. It is starting to become more commonplace for ISPs and mobile providers to obfuscate your public IP address with a technique called CGNAT so that they can put more connections behind one IP address. To see if this is the route of the problem, see if your publicly visible IP address (you can find this by typing 'what's my IP' into Google) matches the WAN IP on your router. If it does not, then you do not have a real public IP address and this is the root of the problem.

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Thanks, peter. I will check that tomorrow.

• milestone

July 23, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Peter, the publicly visible IP address does match the WAN IP on our router.

• milestone

July 24, 2018 at 4:22 am
    jace:

So the Mac firewall is on but is allowing connections from Source-Connect? Perhaps try turning it off anyway in case it's still blocking some connections.

I switched off the Mac Firewall, and it made no difference.

jace:

The port rule looks correct in the screen shot, but you might want to try breaking it up into separate rules for each port

I did this too, but again no difference. I'm still waiting to hear from the ISP if they changed anything. Thanks!

• milestone

July 25, 2018 at 6:42 am

I contacted our ISP again, and they said they had "made some adjustments", after which Source-Connect works again and the port is open. When I asked what they had done they said:

Good Day

The port forwarding was done incorrectly the first time around
    I removed the port forwarding and corrected it this time around
    The way i correcetd it was by making port forwarding
    for all the individual ports availble

Kind Regards

Lightspeed Support

• audiober

September 24, 2018 at 8:41 am

Same problem here today: nothing changed locally but no successful port mapping. Did all ISP adjust something? (in our case Deutsche Telekom).

• Jace

September 24, 2018 at 12:12 pm

It is possible your ISP may have made some changes that could've broken port fowarding. This happened recently with ATT however they have since resolved the issue. I suggest contacting your ISP directly to see if that is the case, otherwise there could be a number of different reasons that your port forwarding is no longer working like if your router was reset or replaced, or if you are behind a double NAT configuration (two or more routers with NAT connected together).

Many ISPs are moving toward CGNAT so you may want to check if they have switched recently as this would break port forwarding.

Viewing 1 - 14 of 14 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now